Skip to main content

Graduate Research

FAQs for Graduate Students

Where is my library barcode and why is it important?

Your library barcode is the 15-digit number located on the back of your student ID.  Use it for off-campus access to library databases and to request a book/article through HELIN loan or Interlibrary loan.

What is HELIN? 

HELIN is a consortium of academic and health libraries in Rhode Island and nearby Massachusetts.  Search the HELIN Library Catalog to locate books and other materials at RWU and other HELIN libraries.

How do I request & check out books that I find in HELIN?

You may request books be sent to the RWU Providence campus or any other HELIN Library that is convenient to you. Once you find the book you need in the HELIN Library Catalog, simply click on the Request It link found beneath the book's title information, enter your name, library barcode and select your pick-up location.

How can I access library resources online?

Go to the library home page at  To see available databases by subject area or alphabetically select the Articles & Databases link from the Find area of the library home page.  To search a library database just click on the link and enter your name and library barcode.

My professor told me to use xyz database, but I am getting an error message.  Why?

You must have an activated library barcode to access library databases.   Fill out this form or call the Information Desk at 401-254-3375 to activate your library barcode today!

My library barcode is activated.  Why am I still getting an error message?

Be sure you are accessing the library database through this guide or the database page of  library web site.  If the Library web site is linked from your Blackboard course site make sure it opens in a new window or open a new browser window and connect to

My professor wants me to read an article for class.  How do I find it?

  • Simply click on Article Citation Finder and fill out as much information as you can.  If RWU library subscribes to the journal the article is in, you should be connected to it online.
  • If it the article is NOT available online, fill out a request for Interlibrary Loan.  The RWU Main Library will locate the article for you and send it via email or postal mail.

What if the material I want isn't available at RWU?

For Books:
If the book is available in another HELIN library, click on HELIN Request from the book's record and fill in your name, library barcode, and pick-up location.

If the book is not available within HELIN, fill out the interlibrary loan request at:

For Articles:
If you are using an online database, click on the full-text availability link to see if there is an electronic copy available. If not, choose the Request an article through interlibrary loan link, enter your information, and click submit.

OR fill out the interlibrary loan article request at: